1. The Client is solely responsible for creating and implementing his/her own physical, mental and emotional well-being, decisions, choices, actions and results arising out of or resulting from the coaching relationship and his/her coaching calls and interactions with the Coach. As such, the Client agrees that the Coach is not and will not be liable or responsible for any actions or inaction, or for any direct or indirect result of any services provided by the Coach.
2. The Client agrees to work as honestly and openly as they are aware and able to do so without knowingly misleading the Coach eg. giving false or disingenuous information during sessions or scheduling meetings they have no intention of attending.
3. The Client is free to press pause on or stop completely a conversation or line of exploration at any time should they feel uncomfortable.
4 All sessions are to be kept confidential except in cases where:
a) there is imminent or likely risk of danger to self (Client), Coach or to others;
b) the content of session raises issues of or connection to illegal activity;
c) the Coach is required by law, pursuant to valid court order or subpoena to produce information.
Where the Coach reasonably believe one of the above circumstances is applicable, or where legally bound to do so, the Coach may need to break confidentiality to inform the appropriate authorities.
5. **The Coach may (with the Client’s permission) take handwritten notes during meetings for their own personal records (to track tools used, what has been discussed and conduct own reflective practice on coaching learning for professional development). Any notes are labelled with initials of the Client (not full name) and are kept under lock and key in the Coach’s office during the coaching engagement or subsequent follow up sessions. Notes are likewise completely confidential unless legally required to be produced (see point above).
6. Any Client specific meeting notes are destroyed 1 year after coaching engagement has been completed.
7. Coaching sessions will not be recorded by coach or client unless mutually agreed ahead of time. The Coach may occasionally ask to record a session as part of professional good practice to show to supervisor/for ICF accreditation process. This will only happen with Client’s verbal or written permission. If a recording is taken, the Client’s name will be erased from recording and client either referred to by initials or number. Any video session review would be to evaluate Coach’s standard of coaching NOT the Client’s shared information or session agenda. Session content would be kept confidential by supervisor or ICF accreditation board.
8. *** The Coach is pursuing ongoing development accreditation with the International Coaching Federation (ICF). For accreditation purposes the Coach must submit a Client Hours Log book. This log lists the full name of Clients who the Coach has worked with and their contact details (email or phone number). This log must be submitted with accreditation application (and is kept confidential). In the very unlikely event that we are selected randomly for audit, the Client may be contacted to confirm that the engagement took place. Thank you for your understanding.
Coaching v Counselling and Mental Health Concerns
(See https://ruth.zealey.org/what-is-coaching/ for some differences between Coaching, Mentoring and Counselling)
9. The Client is aware that while coaching is not counselling, nevertheless powerful coaching conversations creating lasting change happen when we bring ourselves wholly (mind, body, heart and spirit) into the room. As such our conversations are open to include all these areas unless specifically named above in ground rules and boundaries.
10. Disclaimer: The Coach does not act as or in place of medically trained professional and as such cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment, counselling or therapy. Client understands coaching is not therapy and does not substitute for therapy if needed. Client also is aware that coaching does not prevent, cure, or treat any mental disorder or medical disease.
11. Should emotional trauma or underlying and unresolved past issues more appropriate to a therapy/counselling context surface during a session, Client and Coach are free to discuss what other options (support, help of other health professionals etc.) might be worth pursuing for Client to receive the most appropriate care outside of or alongside coaching.
12. The Client is to make Coach aware if they are currently under a mental health provider and to make their mental health provider aware that they are receiving coaching.
13. Safeguarding or duty of care queries or concerns can be taken forward via the Safeguarding Hotline at https://thirtyoneeight.org/help-and-resources/safeguarding-helpline/
14. Videoconferencing: The Coach is contracting to work solely with the contracted adult client (named above). The Client agrees to take full responsibility for any other family members (including children if applicable) or family/workplace-related information (including photos) that might appear on screen during our scheduled meeting.
Services, Refunds and Feedback
15. The Client commits to fulfilling the fees and payment schedule as contracted above. Payment is to happen before contracted sessions take place.
16. We hope the Client will be satisfied with our coaching professional practice. Nevertheless, should the Client wish to raise an issue or complaint about services rendered, please raise this with the Coach in session or via other communication channel as soon as possible.
17. The Client is free to terminate coaching engagement or cancel/postpone sessions at any time.
18. Upon completion or termination of the coaching engagement, the client will be asked to complete a Client Feedback Form for development of Coach professional practice. Thank you for completion of this. Your feedback and comments help us to grow and develop our practice and professional services.
19. In the event of the Client deciding to end or cancel completely a coaching session (single session) or engagement (set of sessions), the Client will be refunded for any sessions not taken that have been paid for individually or as part of bundle (eg. if we contracted for three sessions and Client takes two but cancels third, one session will be refunded). Coach may require Client to supply additional banking details for this refund to take place.
Photo thanks to David Iskander on Unsplash